Modelmaking with LEGO
English translation available
A supplement English translation LEGO Railway World – The 80s: Models, Landscapes, Sets of my book LEGO®-Eisenbahnwelt: Die 80er Jahre: Modelle – Landschaften – Sets is now available as free PDF download.
by Peer Schaefer
LEGO currently (2023) only carries non-current-carrying plastic rails in its product range, | more
Open L-Gauge is a community library for LEGO train models, available for free, to anyone. The goal of Open L-Gauge is to encourage the sharing of ideas, and make the LEGO train hobby more accessible to newcomers.
- Go to Open L-Gauge
On the occasion of the Maker Faire 2023 in Hanover and the dpunkt.verlag's e-book campaign, Corina Pahrmann from dpunkt.verlag spoke to me about my early passion for the LEGO trains, the gray era, the search for building ideas and the passion for collecting LEGO sets.
In autumn 2022, my second book entitled LEGO®-Eisenbahnwelt: Die 80er Jahre: Modelle – Landschaften – Sets (LEGO® Train World: The 80s: Models – Landscapes – Sets) was published by dpunkt.verlag.
About the book:
- Everything about the legendary LEGO train series of the 80s.
- Detailed panoramic photos of LEGO train landscapes and sceneries
- Building instructions for models in the style of the time, also for the current Powered UP system
- All sets of the "Grey Era" of the 80s: Info, minifigures, tips
You played with a LEGO trains in the 80s? In this book you will meet your set from back then again! I describe all LEGO train sets of that time and take you into the world of trains and minifigures with large-format panoramic views of LEGO train dioramas.
Building instructions for your own new models in the style of the "Grey Era" inspire you to build them yourself; among them are models that integrate LEGO's latest powered-up motors with Bluetooth control. By the way, such models also run on the current tracks - driving fun for young and old is guaranteed.
Collectors of the sets of the legendary "Grey Era", named after the colour of the tracks, will refer to the book with its detailed list of all sets of the time and lots of background information as a reference.
The book is published in German, but contains many pictures and photos and is easy to read. And maybe there will be another English translation soon?
- Further information about this book: LEGO®-Eisenbahnwelt: Die 80er Jahre: Modelle – Landschaften – Sets
- Go to Parts lists for models from the book
- The book at dpunkt.verlag (no affiliate link)
- The book at amazon.de (no affiliate link)
12 Volt MOC: River Port
My entry for Brick Train Awards 2022 in the "Best Group or Individual Display" category.
An inland river port with container and bulkload cranes, a chemical plant and old and new buildings in the classic style of the "Grey Era". The small locomotives are driven by mini motors and a Bluetooth hub from circuitcubes.com. The stationary decoupling unit and the mini turntable are powered by old 12 Volt Technic motors which are hidden underneath the platform.
- Go to 12 Volt River Port
As part of the OcTRAINber 2021 "Critters" competition, I have created a remote-controlled LEGO model of the Vollert Robot DER 100 "Leonhard Weiss" robot locomotive.
A building instruction is available for free.
The Empire State Building shines in a new light with lights from www.lightailing.com.
Adding MR52-2Z / MR52-ZZ ball bearings to LEGO train wheels to reduce rolling resistance of my LEGO MOC trains.
- Further information and video about Ballbearings for LEGO train wheels
Storage solutions: HoMa on brickset.com
Huw from brickset.com publishs inside stories of LEGO rooms and sorting concepts of various LEGO fans. On Mai, 18th 2020 my LEGO room was featured.
The Trans Europ Express, Two Versions of the Iconic Train in LEGO
Enrico Lussi encouraged me to help with an article about our VT 11.5 TEE MOCs on BrickModelRailroader.
- Read the full article at brickmodelrailroader.com
- Go to report and videos
The 2nd edition of my book „LEGO® Eisenbahn – Konzepte and Techniken für realistische Modelle“ was published.
Expanded and updated content:
- Powered-Up system
- Expanded overview of third party products
- Design process of the VT 11.5 Trans Europ Express (TEE)
- New preface for the 2nd edition
- New front cover image
- ISBN number: 978-3-86490-641-1
- Further information about this book: LEGO® Eisenbahn – Konzepte and Techniken für realistische Modelle
- The book at dpunkt.verlag
Track and switches by third party suppliers – an (incomplete) overview
- Go to Third Party Supplier
The famous diesel multiple unit VT 11.5 Trans Europ Express (TEE) as LEGO train MOC.
THE LEGO® TRAINS BOOK
The US-based publishher No Starch Press released THE LEGO® TRAINS BOOK as translation of my book LEGO® Eisenbahn – Konzepte and Techniken für realistische Modelle in October 2017.
- Go to LEGO TRAINS BOOK on www.nostarch.​com/​legotrains
- Review on Brick Model Railroader
- Review on Brickset
- Review on BricksFanz
- Review on HispaBrick Magazine
Based on the English version futher translations showed up on various markets, e.g. Spain, Italy and Russia. Also, a Chinese version is available as direct translation from the German original version.
- The LEGO Trains Book English version by No Starch Press
- LEGO Trenes Spanish version published by Oberon
- Treni LEGO Italian version published by Edizioni LSWR
- 乐高创意指南 火车模型设计与搭建技巧 Chinese versionpublished by Post & Telecom Press
- Большая книга поездов LEGO. Руководство по созданию реалистичных моделей Russian version published by Eksmo
New version of my favorite BR 10 steam locomotive. The building instruction is available as PDF download.
- Go to BR 10 steam locomotive
Now available: Building instruction and parts list for my BR 80 steam locomotive as PDF download.
- Go to BR 80 steam locomotive
A Siemens Vectron electric locomotive and three Bombardier doubledeck carriages make my model of Deutsche Bahn's Regional Express.
Model trains built with LEGO.
- Go to Train Models
Architectural models built with LEGO.
- Go to Architecture
From Bucket Wheel Excavator to Police's Water Cannon.
- Go to Machinery & Vehicles
Classic LEGO sets from the Classic Space playtheme re-built in XL scale.
- Go to Classic Space in XL
My „License to play“ … my old driver's license from LEGOLAND Billand (DK).